lowkey: If you want to f*ck with me, you need to understand these specific literary terms. This is how I write my stories, speak my language, express my character, and formulate my thoughts.
a story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
- a literary or artistic genre in which realistic narrative and naturalistic technique are combined with surreal elements of dream or fantasy.
- a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).
- a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid (e.g., as brave as a lion, crazy like a fox ).
- a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in Cleveland won by six runs (meaning “Cleveland’s baseball team”).
- a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.